THE LEAGUE PROVIDES SERVICES TO VOTERS (NON-PARTISAN)
- Organizes candidate forums at public meetings prior to elections
- Registers citizens to vote
- Works to maintain the integrity of the vote by monitoring the use of electronic voting machines
- Provides candidate information through Vote411.org
THE LEAGUE PROVIDES CITIZEN EDUCATION (NON-PARTISAN)
- Presents public forums on current topics
- Observes and reports on city council and school board meetings
- Conducts interviews of local legislators
- Invites experts to speak at member meetings
- Provides civics lessons at local schools
THE LEAGUE CONDUCTS STUDIES ON CURRENT ISSUES
- Coordinates study groups on specific issues; researches and consolidates data, leading to consensus advocacy positions
- Informs the members of significant happenings on issues
THE LEAGUE TAKES ACTION AND ADVOCATES 501(c)(4)
- Lobbies elected officials based on established advocacy positions in the areas of government efficiency and functioning, natural resources and social policy
- Publicizes nonpartisan stances based on League’s policy positions on current issues
- Submits Letters to the Editor and Op-Eds to local newspapers
- Encourages members to contact their representatives as individuals
- Collaborates with other like-minded organizations
THE LEAGUE NEVER ENDORSES POLITICAL CANDIDATES OR PARTIES!
JOIN US, HELP MAKE DEMOCRACY WORK!
We have fun, too! Come join us!
The League sponsors forums for citizens to meet their local elected officials and find out about municipal government. In 2015, we hosted forum for county offices with more than 400 voters in attendance.
PikeLWV presented Fritz Walker of FairDistrictsPA who spoke on the unfairness of gerrymandering and pending redistricting reform legislation at the Pike County Public Library. A full house of concerned voters came out on a rainy Wednesday to hear him.
Working with Penn State Extension in "Toss Your Hat In the Ring" program to help prepare future candidates for Pike County offices.
League of Women Voters Pike County